In April 2012, we walked the 96miles that is the West Highland Way!
We walked the WHW in 5 days leaving Milngavie on Tuesday 3rd April and and got to Fort William on Saturday 8th April.
The weather was ok, typical Scotland, we started off in driving snow, and we got nearly everything, wind, rain, sun. Looking back about 4 out of the 5 days were good or ok. 🙂
Here’s the posts I did about it:
- 5 weeks to go until I walk the WHW!
- Here we go: Walking the West Highland Way!
- Weather forecast for Tuesday WHW
- Starting to pack for the WHW walk
- We walk the WHW tomorrow!
- Who’s idea was this?
- Day 1 on the West Highland Way
- Day 1 WHW Slideshow and links
- Weather for days 2, 3 and 4
- Day 2 this should keep me going…
- Lunchtime! Half way there. Beautiful day today!
- Day 2 on the West Highland Way
- Day 2 WHW Slideshow and links
- Day 3 on the West Highland Way
- Day 3 WHW Slideshow and links
- Day 4 on the West Highland Way
- Day 4 WHW Slideshow and links
- Nearly there… at Kinlochleven
- West Highland Way: Finished!
- Day 5: we walked the West Highland Way!
Here’s the itinerary for our walk:
Day 1: Tuesday 3rd April
Milngavie – Balmaha: 20 miles.
Accomodation: Oak Tree Inn
Day 2: Wednesday 4th April
Balmaha – Inveraran: 21 miles
Accomodation: Beinglas Farm
Day 3: Thursday 5th April
Inverarnan – Bridge of Orchy: 19 miles
Accomodation: Bridge of Orchy Hotel
Day 4: Friday 6th April
Bridge of Orchy – Kinlochleven: 21 miles
Accomodation: Edencoille Guest House
Day 5: Saturday 7th April
Kinlochleven – Fort William: 16 miles
Accomodation: Achintee Farm (tbc)
I also aimed to run some of the West Highland Way as part of a Winter Ultra Run Challenge I’ve set myself. You can see links to some of the training I’ve done so far (running and walking) below.
Wk41 – 24.5M Glasgow to Milngavie and back
Wk43 – 26.8M WHW Milngavie to just past Drymen and back
Wk45 – 24M WHW Rowardennan to Dario Melaragni Memorial and back
Wk47 – 33.33M around Glasgow
On our training days, we’ve walked from Milngavie all the way to Bridge of Orchy… about 55-60 miles of the route. 🙂