A very wise and lovely lady once said to me…
‘Take care of yourself:
Eat well, sleep well, play well and be well.’
A good and simple, even basic bit of advice, and one I plan to live by.
Now, I’m going to do a series of posts about how to take care of yourself:
The first one of which is below:
1. Take care of yourself:
Think about it. Do you:
- Take care of yourself?
- Eat well and eat enough?
- Sleep enough?
- Socialise enough?
- Get enough exercise?
- Over do it with drink?
- Punish your body without realising it?
- Or even worse, do you realise you’re punishing your body and keep punishing it week in week out?
- Are you too busy with helping others that you forget about yourself?
Taking care of yourself can sometimes be forgotten. Listen to your body and take care of yourself. Continually improve – but don’t focus on too many things to improve at once. Get one nailed (nutrition, exercise, smoking, socialising, weight etc) and move onto the next.
Here are some things to think about in order to take care of yourself:
- Exercise regularly, but don’t overdo it: take enough rest from exercising to recover.
- Listen to your body – if you have injuries or are run down, take time out or cross train.
- Socialise and get enough fun and play time.
- Get the right amount of sleep that you need: sleep does you and your body wonders! (6-9 hours a night is about right).
- Drink alcohol in moderation (or none at all if you’re like me and unable to stop!)
- Don’t smoke. (It went out in the 80s and is so not good for you!)
- Limit your caffeine intake.
- Eat well: fuel your body and get the most nutrients from your food.
- Drink plenty of water and ditch the diet drinks / fizzy drinks.
(They are full of crap and not good for you.)
- Take time out from life every now and again to recharge your batteries and recover.
And take care of your mental well being. Think about what makes you happy and doing things which make you happy.
Think about it – spend some time and find out for yourself what it is to take care of yourself and be happy, and do it. 🙂
Finally – want to find out what areas of your life you can work on? Take my Super Human Test here.