So… the book I’m reading at the moment is the Paleo Solution, a rather humerous book about the original human diet. How to use your diet to lose fat and stay young, and avoid diseases like cancer, diabetes, heart disease and others.
He suggests that you can use simple nutrition, exercise and lifestyle changes to radically change your appearance and health for the better.
To go Paleo – you need to simply eat like our ancestors did… to eat the way our bodies have evolved to eat over millions of years.
Pasturised Dairy Products (I’ll get rid of milk, but keep some dairy for just now)
Grains or grain like foods (wheat, rice, millet, oats, barley, flour or noodle)
Refined Sweetners (sugar, sweets, honey)
vegetable oils & highly processed oils
Fruit Juice (unless you made it yourself)
Coffee (or limit)
Alcohol (or limit)
I know that the main part of my diet does rely on milk, oats, and grains… so in the next month I’m going to try and mix it up..
1. Swap milk (in my protein shakes) for coconut water.
2. Swap bananas for my protein shake for blueberries/blackberries/raspberries.
(Today’s shake is: Spinach, blueberries, creatine, chocolate protein powder, egg white – and it tastes fine – not missing the milk).
3. Swap bagels for a peanut butter, eggs and turkey protein box.
4. Increase my daily intake of veg.
5. Swap bananas for berries and tomatoes.
6. Don’t eat bread, bagels or flour based products.
7. Breakfast: Swap porridge/cereals for eggs and tomatoes / veg or fish.
8. Still have low fat cottage cheese, greek yohurt and cheese, but in limited amounts (no milk) – (but I love it cheese too much to give up just now)
9. More fish and veg or lean meat and veg for dinner.
10. Continue to fast 1-2 days a week (Tues / Fri)
I’ll get my carbs from vegetables and salad, and quit wholemeal and grains and sweets as they have almost zero nutrition compared to vegetables and I think I’d do better living on vegetables than man made grains.
Let’s see how that goes. 🙂 This week will be a test week, then I’ll try and see if I can do it for at least 4 weeks and aim to make it a complete lifestyle change if I like the results/way of living.