Training for the marathon and half marathon and running long in general made me realise I have set routines I do before I run long.
It might be to do with sleep, nutrition or what I wear, but I thought I’d note them down to see just how crazy I might be. 😉
Day/Night before the Race/Long run
- Drink water through out the day on the day before a long run.
- Eat enough to keep energy levels up.
- Don’t drink alcohol (it’s a given for me, but thought I’d put it in).
- Aim to get at least 8 hours sleep.
- Charge garmin and ipod.
- Check the weather for the conditions and choose/layout running clothes accordingly.
- If running a Race, ensure you have your number pinned onto your bib/tshirt.
Pre Race/Long run
- Breakfast: Porridge & Orange Juice. Multivitamin.
- 1 hour before race/run: Caffiene Boost Lucozade. 80mg caffiene!
- 10 mins before race/run: Caffiene gel. 22mg caffiene!
During the Race/Long run
- Every 45 mins take an energy gel. (Caffeine or normal)
- Sip 125mls of water every 20 mins roughly (approx 500mls in an hour)
- Drink after 20 mins if you have water with you.
- Or leave a 500ml bottle an hour/half way into the run.
Post Race/Long run
- Drink a 500ml bottle of lucozade (full fat, not the ‘lite’ stuff) – Citrus preferably. 🙂
- Eat some cashew nuts/a banana/apple/bagel (replace energy/carbs).
- Drink a milkshake (For goodness shakes) for protien intake / recovery.
- Eat a good meal (baked potato or good hearty lunch/dinner).
- Drink water throughout the day to replace any lost fluids.
- Log the run on Garmin Connect and Nike Plus.
- Have an afternoon nap if you need one. 😀